Friday, November 13, 2009

Intentions

I hadn't run much. My intentions were good, but my training calendar sure showed that intentions and real life can be very different.

"I'm just gonna run easy ... I'll probably be done around an hour and twenty five or so," I told my husband as he dropped me off before the race.

Race number, check. Tshirt, check. Port-o-potty line, check.

I lined up at the start and noticed no one was moving towards the front. I walked up. Right behind the women in sports bras and biker shorts. Right behind the women that obviously train more than I do. Right behind the women who were clearly going to win the race.

National anthem, check. Last minute warm-up, check.

And we're off. First mile in the 7:00's. Second mile in the 7:00's. And so on. My body wasn't prepared but my competitive nature was. Give it your all. Just keep going. No pain, no gain.

10 miles later I crossed the line with tears in my eyes. No air. No strength. I felt like fainting. I felt like vomitting. Never had I felt so terrible after a race.

But I did it.

1:16

I can do anything I put my mind to.

No comments: