Friday, February 29, 2008

Treadmills: The Love/Hate Relationship, Volume 1

You love to hate them, you hate to love them. Treadmills are the best invention ... and the worst miles I will ever put in.

I'm not sure what it is about treadmills that makes me want to quickly find a new hobby. Maybe its the running for ___ miles but never getting anywhere... or the terrible pounding elephant sound that each stride makes ... or maybe its the fact that there is this display board, with numbers, and my time, and how far I have gone, but yet how far I still have. to. go. "A watched pot never boils" just like a watched treadmill screen NEVER MOVES.

I live in the tundra. Yes folks, the tundra of St. Paul, MN. Training for a summer marathon sounds peachy, until the program starts in the thick of winter. My best intentions are to bundle up and brave the winter weather, but then I take one step outside and the treadmill all of a sudden sounds like a better option. Its one thing to run in cold temperatures, but its another thing to run in cold temperatures with arctic winds blowing at your face! Not. fun.

So Mr. God-Foresaken Treadmill, thank you. Our love/hate relationship will get me through the winter training and prep me for sunshine, dry sidewalks, and warmer temperatures .... oh how it can't come fast enough ....

No comments: