Monday, February 25, 2008

A Weekend of Firsts

First race of the season.

First long run.

Both a success! I signed up for a 5K "Frolic" in White Bear since it was right near my house and wouldn't require getting up too early on a precious Saturday morning. The "frolic" description was appealing, but didn't keep me from waking up and feeling the need to try to set a PR. Really?! A PR after 1 (yes, read that ONE.) week of marathon training (oh yeah, Hi! sorry forgot to mention, marathon #2 training just started, more about that another day)?! A PR in 10 degree weather?! A PR on icy roads?! "But of course!" my ever competitive brain chirped.

With about 300 running friends, Saturday morning was the fastest 5K I've ever run, or tried to run for that matter. I set off at a good pace and held it the entire way. It wasn't fun. Well, finishing with a PR was fun. Running faster than I thought I could was fun. But the feeling was NOT fun. So why is it that I can't wait to do it again?!

24:37 - a 7:56 pace. I really didn't know I could do that! Imagine what I might be able to do with a bit more training (read: > 1 week!)

And Sunday was Long Run #1. 6 miles. I felt eerily good. Until it was over. My legs do not quite know what all that running was all about. Lets be sure not to tell them we are going to add 20.2 miles to that in a mere 17 weeks :)

No comments: