Day one is in the books and it was relatively painless. I decided to utilize nap time (2-3 hours) to wash my flats from the night/morning for the first time. I rinse all of my diapers in the sink even when I'm using my pockets, fitteds, etc. because I feel like it gets the pee out right away and keeps any stink or build up at bay. With the flats, I didn't change that. Since they were pre-rinsed, I put them in our kitchen sink in some cool water and let them soak for about 10 minutes. I then drained the water, filled the sink with HOT water and about a tsp. of Charlie's Soap (what we use for most of our laundry, including diapers), put on my rubber gloves, and did some swishing and scrubbing. After letting them soak for maybe 20 minutes, I rinsed them in cool water as best as I could. I then filled the sink yet again with warm-ish water and let them soak for about 5 minutes. After rinsing them a final time and wringing them out, I brought them outside to the clothesline to dry. I shook them to get out excess water and hung them up. About an 1 1/2 later they were all dry!
One hiccup - as they were drying, I went to check on them and noticed TONS of teeny tiny little red bugs crawling all over my covers and flats. YUCK! I quickly asked on the Facebook page if anyone had experienced that. A few people said they had, and I even learned they are little clover mites (harmless). Once my flats and covers were dry, most of the mites were gone, but I shook the remaining off and called it a day.
I'm not a fan of how stiff and crunchy the flats feel after drying, but Mallory doesn't seem to mind. I also hope that I used enough soap and/or got all the soap out. They smelled and looked clean so I am hopeful. I guess I will have to check her little bum to be sure I'm getting all the soap out and it isn't irritating her.
I did one more load after Mallory was in bed. This time I hung them inside on the drying rack to dry over night. It worked like a charm again and they were dry by morning.
But... aside from that, the day went well. So onto Day #2 - What does it take?
I realized yesterday that it honestly doesn't take much at all! In one day I used 3 covers and 5 flats. Mallory pooped 3 times (more than usual, but thankfully they are "plopable" these days) and never once did I dirty a cover. I have many more covers in rotation and 3x the flats... I'm not even sure I will use all of them this week. I'm thinking I may try to limit them and see if I can do it.
Here is what I'm using:
- 6 Osocozy flats
- 9 Swaddlebees unbleached flats
- 6 Flip covers (may not use all of these)
- 2 Econobum covers (so trim!)
- 1 toddler snappi
- Charlie's Soap
- Rubber gloves
- Clothsline and pins
- Drying rack
Tonight I will have one bigger load of flats and covers to wash since I am gone all day. Should be interesting to see the difference between handwashing a small load vs. a larger load! Look forward to tomorrow's update on how it went and my answer to my favorite way to use flats :)
**(Picture to be added once I am home from work!)**